Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Thai Shrimp & Coconut Soup with Noodles


As mentioned in a previous post - I love Thai flavors - and so after a brief hunt on the internet, I came across this recipe that sounded like a deliciously easy meal.

I made a few simple modifications:
  • Used lite coconut milk rather than regular coconut milk (found in the asian section of any regular grocery store)
  • 1 lb of shrimp rather than the requested chicken
  • 3/4 box of rice thai stirfry noodles (found in the same area as the coconut milk). Since I used the rice noodles, they cook a bit different. I soaked them in hot water per the box preparation instructions, but drained them while they were still a bit crisp.  I didn't want them to become too soggy when added to the additional liquid of the soup.
  • And by accident I used 2 cans of coconut milk instead of 2 cups - probably just created a more soupy consistency - I never would have known that I messed up until re-reading the recipe just now - oops!
And on another shopping note - fish sauce is typically not a common household ingredient, but I tend to keep it on hand in the fridge to add a salty flavor to any thai flavored dish (especially homemade pad thai).  It's easy to find in any regular grocery store in the same area as the coconut milk and noodles - no need to go to a specialty store.

With the noodles, the soup was definitely filling enough to be our main course. Start to finish perhaps took us about 20 minutes - very speedy and could almost pass for the taste of take-out.

1 comment:

  1. I know I should be looking at the food (which does look quite good by the way) but I can't help admiring all of stephanie's beautiful dishes! :)

    ReplyDelete