Monday, June 21, 2010

Potato Salad (mayo free)

One of the best parts of summer are the family bbqs. It's always great to get together with friends and family to share a great meal - and its always made better when you can enjoy the sunshine.  Potato salad is one of the quintessential icons of summer. Seems like its semi-un-American to have a bbq without potato salad.  However, one of the things David & I have in common is that there are no mayonnaise jars allowed in our fridge.  We don't eat the stuff. I'm a little more lenient when it comes to saucy condiments, but nonetheless, I set out on a journey to find a mayo-free potato salad substitute - and I believe I may have found one.

Recipe: Potato Salad

Basicially, its red potatoes tossed in a vinegar/oil dressing and mixed with some veggies. I didn't have/want to purchase flavored rice vinegar, so I used plain rice vinegar and mixed in a small handful of some Herbes de Provence that I had stored in the pantry.

I added the drained potatoes while they were still hot in a bowl with the vinegar mixture, and was a little nervous at first because the smell of warm vinegar potatoes was a little strong. I was afraid that I had created a monster of pickled potatoes - but don't fear - with a little time, it all mellowed out. I made this the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight to allow the flavor of the vinegar to meld around with everything. The vinegar could hardly be tasted - it just gave things a little zip.

I will definately be making this one again - probably much to my sister's demise - as she liked to pick out all the veggies.  Watch out pasta salad - you may have met your match.

No comments:

Post a Comment