Friday, June 11, 2010

Colorful Pot-Luck Worthy Pasta Salad



It seems like most everyone has a "go-to" pot-luck type dish.  For example, my mom is the baker of pies.  Any special occasion, she makes the pies. Pies are her thing.  Over the years, she has the crust and filling down to an exact science.  And then my grandma, she the maker of crescent rolls - yeasty and flaky.  I have not perfected a special occasion food item, but I have discovered that for nearly every large summer type gathering I tend to lean towards the same pot-luck dish: Pasta Salad.

I don't remember when the Hein/Vranizan Pasta Salad trend began, but it seems like its always the thing I tend to make for gatherings - perhaps because its so darn easy.

My brother is graduating college tomorrow!   In celebration of his accomplishment, on what promises to be a gorgeous day, we're having a pot-luck bbq in his honor after the ceremonies. And yup, I made pasta salad.

In the mix:
  • 2 zucchini
  • 2 cartons of plum tomatoes
  • 1 each: red, yellow and orange bell peppers
  • 1 cucumber
  • 4 oz of reduced fat feta cheese crumbles
  • handful of blue cheese stuffed olives & Kalamata olives, sliced thin
  • 4 oz of coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 boxes of wheat spiral pasta (would have been 2 boxes, but ran out of room in the bowl)
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup of light italian dressing
I like to keep the dressing pretty light and let the flavors of the other ingredients shine through. 

This recipe makes a GIANT bowl of pasta salad - so much that I had to leave out some of the pasta and scoop myself a little bowl for dinner :)

And just to show you how many veggies are in this thing, this is how full the bowl is before adding any pasta:

No comments:

Post a Comment