Monday, June 21, 2010

Chocolate-Banana Cream Pie

For Father's Day, I decided that I'd whip up something a little special that I knew my dad would enjoy.  It might not have been the healthiest or most calorie friendly of desserts, but this baby was a delicious pie.  This guy was heavy - it probably weighed in at a good 3-4 lbs.  The combination of chocolate cookie crust, banana slices, chocolate cream filling and whipped cream on the top was to die for.  A little slice went a long way with this guy.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to make: Chocolate Cream Pie.  The recipe did not call for the bananas - I added those in as a layer on the bottom and sides of the crust before adding the pudding.  2 bananas sliced was plenty to cover the bottom and sides of the crust. I would definately recommend using the deepest pie dish you've got - you won't want any of the filling to go to waste!

This guy took a bit of time to make, as I had forgotten how long it actually takes to get homemade pudding to thicken - especially when using low-fat milk.  Homemade pudding is simply a combination of milk, cornstarch, sugar and egg yolks.  I think it takes a bit longer when using low-fat milk as its pretty thin to begin with, but that's what I had in the fridge.  Its amazing how 45 minutes of whisking turns into delectible chocolate pudding. No easy shortcuts on this one.

I didn't get a picture of it, but after transporting, I topped the whole thin with some thickly whipped cream and sprinkled with almond slivers.  Watch out Marie Callendar's.

No comments:

Post a Comment