Sunday, August 8, 2010

Easy Penne & Tuna Salad



I had whipped up this meal this last Wednesday, but once again, I have a backlog of meals that I need to post.

I tried out packaged tuna for the first time - and was mildly impressed.  I don't remember the last time I've eaten tuna from a can, or tuna - period.  Something about the smell of packaged tuna brings me back to smelling a tuna sandwich in my lunch bag in grade school. You never wanted to be the kid who had a tuna sandwich in their lunchbag...

Anyways, I purchased 2 packages of tuna packed in water - one of light meat and one of darker meat.  Opening the packaging took up a bit of courage as I was afraid of a wafting "tuna can" smell - no such smell.  And so, I proceeded with this recipe:

Start out by roasting 1 red bell pepper under the broiler.
  • Cut a bell pepper in half lengthwise - clean out the innards, and place skin sides up on foil-lined baking sheet. 
  • Broil for 15 minutes, then place in a zip-loc bag and let steam for another 15 minutes.  
  • Peel off the skin (this was a bit messy) and chop.
Boil up 6 oz of penne noodles. Drain and rinse with cold water (to bring the temperature down)

In a large bowl, combine:
  • 2 cups of coarsely chopped arugula
  • 1/4 cup sliced shallots
  • 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp capers, drained
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 packages of chunk tuna
  • Pasta
  • Red peppers
This pasta salad was great and refreshing.  The tuna added a definitive flavor, but the red peppers and capers added a bit of complexity.  Overall, super quick to make, and not too terribly unhealthy.  Next time I make, I will probably use wheat pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment