Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Southwest Chicken Soup



Tonight's dinner is also known as -  a good way to use up a rotisserie chicken.

The other night I brought home a rotisserie chicken for a quick dinner - but with just the two of us - its tough to get through a whole chicken.  So - the fantastic solution - a soup!

  • Saute a few spoonfuls of garlic in a soup pot.
  • Add 6 cups of chicken broth (we use this a lot - so I always stock up when its on sale)
  • Add in 1 tsp of cumin
  • 1/4 cup of rice (I used brown rice)
  • 1 can (16 oz of Great Northern beans) - the white ones :) rinsed & drained.
  • Simmer for 30 min - because I used brown rice, it took considerably longer than if I had used quick white rice)
  • Stir in 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken & 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
  • Heat for 5 minutes or so until the chicken heats up, then stir in 1 tsp or so of fresh lime juice.
I love soup - and this one turned out pretty good.  The cilantro stirred in near the end gave it a fresh bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment