Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hoisin Pork Lettuce Wraps with Ginger, Mushroom & Basil Soup

Tonight I'm on my own - David went to the blazer game tonight with his brother Cam. I frequently have cravings for Asian flavors - so tonight I decided to make some lettuce wraps & some soup.

As with many of the recipes I attempt, there is usually a snafu - either I don't have an ingredient or I bought the wrong thing.  This was one of those recipes - but I made do.

Lettuce wraps:

3-4 Pork chops thinly sliced, browned
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce (recipe calls for 1/3, but I always use a little less)
Tablespoon or so each of lime juice and water
 When the chops are done browning, I quickly stir in the sauce and take it off the heat.  The sugar in the hoisin sauce likes to burn to the pan if you let it sit too long.

Couple strips of pork go into a lettuce leaf - top if off with a small handful of coleslaw salad mix (without any dressing of course), throw on a couple of peanuts - and dazzle - a lettuce wrap.  The recipe called for cilantro to be mixed with the coleslaw mix - but I didn't have any of that handy either.

Soup:
1/2 portobello mushroom chopped into small chunks (the recipe called for enoki mushrooms - which are nothing like portobello mushrooms - see picture below - but again - I made do with what I had)


I cooked the mushrooms in a saucepan with a tablespoon of grated fresh ginger until mushrooms turned brown.  Added 2 cans of chicken broth with a bit of soy sauce.  I cooked on medium until it came to a boil, then threw in some green onions and basil for a touch of color. Fancy, ehh? (I think I was supposed to use fresh basil - but didn't have any of that on hand either).

Overall, a pretty decent meal.  Start to finish took me about 20-25 minutes. Not as good as a PF Changs lettuce wrap, but it gets the job done.

2 comments: