Monday, January 3, 2011

Homemade Lasagna



This lasagna is just about as homemade as I'll ever get, with exception of the sauce.  I don't think I'll ever reach the point where I make my own sausage or cheese, but the closest I could get tonight was making my own noodles.

For Christmas I received the wonderful gift of a pasta roller attachment set for my Kitchenaid, transforming this:

into this:
 into finally this tasty thing:

If you would have told me a year ago that I could and would be making my own pasta, I'd most likely have laughed and doubted the truth to the statement.  Now I laugh at myself, pasta isn't really all that intimidating.  Sure, I've been spoiled that I now have modern conveniences to assist in the pasta making, but its really all not that hard.  4 eggs, 3 1/2 cups of flour, pinch of salt, dash of water and some good old fashioned kneading.  Yes, in the long run its far more costly than the 1.29 for a box of lasagna noodles, but the taste cannot be beat.  You must try for yourself someday.  Pasta making has now made it to my list of things I would love to master before I die.  Each batch I learn something new.

Other than the noodles, this lasagna has the standard: red sauce, Italian sausage, ricotta, mozzarella and a portion with mushrooms, but the noodles made all the difference.  Definitely worth the extra time, but will most likely stay as a weekend meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment